Historic Markers Across Georgia



Telfair Hospital for Females



Marker ID: GHS 25-27
Location: 5353 Reynolds St., Savannah, GA
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 01.697    W 081° 06.034
  32.02828333    -81.10056666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WME2PA
Telfair Hospital for Females Marker  



Text:

In her will, Mary Telfair (1791-1875) provided for the establishment of a women´s hospital and also named the first president (Louise Gilmer) and six directresses to manage it. Originally located at the southwest corner of Drayton and New Houston (now Park Avenue) Streets, the Telfair Hospital for Females opened in 1886 as the first hospital in Georgia dedicated exclusively to the care of women. The hospital opened a children´s ward in 1896 and started one of the state´s first nursing schools in 1900. After years of financial struggles, the directresses finalized a merger with Candler Hospital on January 1, 1960. In 1980 a new facility was built at this location and the original Telfair building was sold.

2006.12 Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, 25-27
Telfair Directresses, and St. Joseph's/Candler
Health System. Inc.



 
Candler Hospital
Telfair Hospital for Females


 

025-HS27