Historic Markers Across Georgia



Houston Baptist Church



Marker ID: GHS 25-28
Location: 9000 Old Augusta Rd./Ga Hwy 21, Port Wentworth
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 13.562    W 081° 11.648
  32.226033    -81.19413
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4MM9
Houston Baptist Church Marker  



Text:

Houston Baptist Church and its adjoining cemetery were organized in 1886 under the leadership of Reverend Ulysses L. Houston, minister of First Bryan Baptist Church in Savannah. A significant religious and political leader in the African-American community, Houston attended the meeting at Gen. Sherman´s Savannah headquarters in January 1865 that resulted in Special Field Order No.15 (the redistribution of confiscated coastal land in forty-acre tracts to newly freed blacks). Houston also served a term in Georgia´s Reconstruction legislature. Established in the tradition of earlier plantation praise houses intended to Christianize the enslaved populations of rural plantations, Houston Baptist Church served the African Americans of Rice Hope Plantation. Houston Baptist Church continued to serve the local community until the 1970s.



 

 

025-HS28