Historic Markers Across Georgia



Lawton Memorial St. Paul's Greek Orthodox Church



Marker ID: GHS 25-
Location: Located in Colonial Park Cemetery, Savannah, Ga.
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 03.745    W 081° 05.900
  32.062416    -81.09833
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This building was constructed in 1897-98 as a memorial to General Alexander R. Lawton (1818-96) and his daughter, Corinne (1844-77). It was used as a public space for cultural, educational and civic purposes until the 1930s. After serving in the Georgia House of Representatives and as President of Georgia and Atlantic Railroad, Lawton served as Brigadier General and Quartermaster-General of the Confederacy, as Ambassador to Austria-Hungary, and as fifth President of the American Bar Association. Chartered in 1907, St. Paul´s Greek Orthodox Church acquired the building as its sanctuary in 1941.

ERECTED BY THE GEORGIA HISTORICAL SOCIETY AND ST. PAUL´S GREEK ORTHODOX CHURCH



 
Notes:

Duplicate - actually 025-6

 

025-HS30