Historic Markers Across Georgia



St. Benedict the Moor Catholic Church ~ Mother Church of Black Catholics in Georgia



Marker ID: GHS  25-30
Location: 556 East Gordon Street, Savannah, GA
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 04.128    W 081° 05.280
  32.0688    -81.088
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WME46K
St. Benedict the Moor Catholic Church ~ Mother Church of Black Catholics in Georgia Marker  



Text:

Mother Church of Black Catholics in Georgia

In May 1874 two Benedictine priests arrived in Savannah to work with the city´s African-American community, and constructed a church four blocks north of here. In 1889 a new building was constructed at this site. The Society of African Missions staffed the parish from 1907 to 1968. Staffed by Franciscan Sisters, St. Benedict´s day school operated from 1907 until its closure in 1969 due to integration. The school´s alumni include U. S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas. The sisters also staffed the orphanage established by Mother Matilda Beasley, the first African-American woman in Georgia to belong to a religious order. The current building was constructed in 1949.

Erected by the Georgia Historical Society
2008.3 and Sam´s Club and Wal-Mart Stores Inc. 25-30



 
St. Benedict the Moor Catholic Church
St. Benedict the Moor Catholic Church ~ Mother Church of Black Catholics in Georgia


 

025-HS30a