Historic Markers Across Georgia



Richmond Baptist Church



Marker ID: GHS 25-39
Location: At the church, 7351 Ga. Highway 21 (Augusta Road), Savannah, GA
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 12.073    W 081° 11.932
  32.20121666    -81.19886666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMEWXK
Richmond Baptist Church Marker  



Text:

Richmond Baptist Church and its adjoining cemetery were organized on March 14, 1897 under the leadership of Rev. E.K. Love, third pastor of First African Baptist Church in Savannah. Rev. Love was a significant missionary and religious leader in the African-American community throughout Georgia. Richmond was one of thirteen identified Savannah praise houses under the administration of First African Baptist Church in 1884 Established in the tradition of earlier plantation praise houses intended to Christianize the enslaved populations of rural plantations, Richmond Baptist Church served the African Americans of Richmond Plantation. Richmond maintained religious worship under the affiliate plantation membership of First African Baptist Church of Savannah.

Erected by The Georgia Historical Society
2011.6 and the Richmond Baptist Church. 25.39



 

Richmond Baptist Church


 

025-HS39