Historic Markers Across Georgia



Cockspur Island Lighthouse



Marker ID: GHS 25-41
Location: Located in the parking area near the Ft. Pulaski NP Visitors center. (fee area)
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 01.656    W 080° 53.555
  32.0276    -80.89258333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WME3PY
Cockspur Island Lighthouse Marker  



Text:

Cockspur Island Lighthouse



Designed and built in 1848 by renowned architect John S. Norris to mark the entrance to the South Channel of the Savannah River, the Cockspur Island Lighthouse was destroyed by a hurricane in 1854. A larger replacement was built on the same foundation in 1855. During the American Civil War, the light was temporarily extinguished. The lighthouse survived the 30-hour Union bombardment of Confederate-held Fort Pulaski in 1862 and two hurricanes in 1881 and 1893. By the late 1800s, shipping had moved to the North Channel of the Savannah River. The lighthouse was no longer needed and was deactivated in 1909. In 1958, the U.S. Coast Guard transferred the lighthouse to the National Park Service.





2011.13 Erected by the Georgia Historical Society
and Friends of the Cockspur Island Lighthouse.
25-11



 

Cockspur Island Lighthouse

Notes:

For more information

NPS: Cockspur Island Lighthouse

Lighthouse Friends: Cockspur Island, GA

 

025-HS41