Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Rotary Club of Savannah



Marker ID: GHS 25-44
Location: East Liberty St at Bull St, Savannah, GA
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 04.478    W 081° 5.565
  32.07463333    -81.09275
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
The Rotary Club of Savannah Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

The Rotary Club of Savannah
Service Above Self



On January 5, 1914, the Rotary Club of Savannah met for the first time at the DeSoto Hotel. Founded by John S. Banks and a group of local businessmen, this was the second Rotary club established in Georgia. The nation’s first service club, Rotary began in Chicago in 1905 and promotes community and economic development projects at home and abroad. The Savannah club sponsored the formation of eight others around the state. Together, they championed local and regional developments including completing the road to Tybee Island, improving the Savannah River for commercial traffic, enhancing the Dixie Highway system in southeast Georgia, and building bridges over the Savannah and Altamaha Rivers. Furthering the goals of Rotary International, the club has also supported wartime relief efforts, student scholarships, polio eradication, and other global health initiatives.




2013.6 The Georgia Historical Society and the Rotary Club of Savannah
025-44




The Rotary Club of Savannah
Photo by David Seibert



 

025-HS44