Historic Markers Across Georgia



First Bryan Baptist Church



Marker ID: GHS 25-47
Location: 575 W Bryan St, Savannah, GA
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 4.931    W 081° 05.943
  32.08218333    -81.09905
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

First Bryan Baptist Church
Constituted 1788


First Bryan dates its founding to the constitution of the unity Ethiopian Church of Jesus Christ under Rev. Andrew Brian in January 1788, making it one of the nation's oldest African-American Baptist churches. Known later as First Colored Church, First African, and Third African, the congregation took the name first Bryan Baptist in 1867. Construction of the first church building began here in 1793 on property purchased by Rev. Bryan. The current building was completed in 1874. The First Bryan ministries include Garrison Frazier and Ulysses Houston attended the nearby meeting of local black leaders with Gen. Sherman in January 1865 resulted in Special Field Order No. 15, promising confiscated coastal land to freed slaves. In the twentieth century, Civil Rights leader W.W. Law taught Sunday School at First Bryan for many years.





2014.3 Erected by the Georgia Historical Society
and First Bryan Baptist Church.
25-47



 
Notes:

Dedicated Sunday, June 29, 2014

 

025-HS47