Historic Markers Across Georgia



Jepson House Education Center



Marker ID: GHS 25-48
Location: 104 West Gaston St, Savannah, GA
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 4.226    W 081° 5.773
  32.07043333    -81.09621666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Jepson House Education Center Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Jepson House Education Center


This Italianate mansion was built in 1856 for Savannah grocer and Civil War mayor Thomas Holcombe and later owned by former Confederate officer and Superior Court Judge Robert Falligant and his descendants. The Oglethorpe Light Infantry, commanded by Francis Bartow, received its colors and departed from here for the First Battle of Manassas in 1861. During his last visit to Savannah in 1870, Robert E. Lee was hosted here. In 2011, the building was acquired by the Georgia Historical Society. It is named in honor of local philanthropist and businessman Robert S. Jepson, Jr., and his wife Alice, principal benefactors and leaders of the effort to obtain the building. Jepson House serves as the Georgia Historical Society’s educational center, housing the office of the president and the program and administrative staff.





2014.12 The Georgia Historic Society
025-48



Jepson House Education Cente
Jepson House Education Center
Photo by David Seibert


Notes:

GHS: Jepson House Education Center: A History

 

025-HS48