Historic Markers Across Georgia



World War II Rescue Boat Station



Marker ID: GHS 25-55
Location: Thunderbolt Marine Inc., 3124 River Dr, Thunderbolt, GA
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 1.361    W 081° 2.879
  32.02268333    -81.04798333
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

World War II Rescue Boat Station


The Thunderbolt Yacht Basin opened here in 1939 to service marine vessels. It was built on the site of the Civil War-era Ft. Thunderbolt on a point used for defensive fortifications since at least the eighteenth century. In 1942, during World War II, the US Army Air Forces stationed at Hunter Field acquired the Yacht Basin for use as a Rescue Boat Station to support bombing and gunnery training conducted over water. The Rescue Boat Station housed the "P" crash rescue boats of Operations Platoon No. 9 of the 922nd Quartermaster Company Boat (Aviation), which provided emergency response for downed aircraft. The facility became part of the Third Air Force Staging Wing at Hunter Field and continued as a military installation until the mid-1950s. Since the 1960s the site has been used for civilian marine services.







2016.9 Erected by the Georgia Historical Society,
Town of Thunderbolt, and Thunderbolt Marine Inc.
25-55



 
Notes:

Dedicated March 24, 2017

 

025-HS55