Historic Markers Across Georgia



Gulfstream Aerospace Corp.



Marker ID: GHS 25-58
Location: 500 Gulfstream Road in Savannah, GA
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 8.29    W 081° 11.502
  32.13816666    -81.1917
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Gulfstream Aerospace Corp.


Here, on Sept. 29, 1967, Gulfstream Aerospace Corp. established its Savannah facility, now its headquarters. The world’s first purpose-built business aircraft company was born from Grumman Aircraft Engineering Company after World War II as the warplane manufacturer adapted to the post-war economic boom. Beginning with the Gulfstream GII, Savannah became the base for Grumman’s civilian aircraft. In 1999, General Dynamics acquired Gulfstream, bringing a dedicated focus to research and development resulting in industry-leading innovations in aircraft safety and technology and worldwide customer service. In the 50 years since relocating in 1967, Gulfstream grew from 100 employees to more than 15,000 around the world. The Savannah headquarters includes facilities for manufacturing, research and development, maintenance, sales, and support.





2017.9 Erected by the Georgia Historical Society
and Gulfstream Aerospace Corp.
25-58



 
Notes:

Dedicated on Saturday, October 14, 2017

 

025-HS58