Historic Markers Across Georgia



Lawton Memorial



Marker ID: GHS 25-6
Location: intersection of Bull Street and West Anderson, Savannah GA
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 3.743    W 081° 5.901
  32.06238333    -81.09835
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMWBG
Lawton Memorial Marker  



Text:

St. Paul's Greek Orthodox Church

This building was constructed in 1897-98 as a memorial to General Alexander R. Lawton (1818-96)and his daughter, Corinne (1844-77). It was used as a public space for cultural, educational and civic purposes until the 1930s. After serving in the Georgia House of Representatives and as president of Georgia and Atlantic Railroad, Lawton served as Brigadier General and Quartermaster-General of the Confederacy, as ambassador to Austria- Hungary, and as fifth president of the American Bar Association. Chartered in 1907, St. Paul's Greek Orthodox Church acquired the building as its sanctuary in 1941.

2001.4 Erected by The Georgia Historical Society and St. Paul's



 

Lawton Memorial


 

025-HS6