Historic Markers Across Georgia



Chattahoochee County



Marker ID: GHM 026-4
Location: Courthouse in Cusseta
County: Chattahoochee
Coordinates: N 32° 18.378    W 084° 46.596
  32.3063    -84.7766
Waymark: WM7PTH
Chattahoochee County Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Chattahoochee County, created by Act of February 13, 1854, was cut off from Muscogee and Marion Counties. It was named for the Chattahoochee River. Its courthouse, constructed in 1854, was built of select heart lumber from the Long Leaf Pine by slave labor. First county officers, commissioned March 11, 1854, were William W. Bussey, Sheriff; N.N. Howard, Clerk Superior Court; Ezekiel Walters, Clerk Inferior Court; Abner Smith, Ordinary; William H. Askew, Tax Receiver; Stephen Parker, Tax Collector; Littleton Morgan, Surveyor; William S. Howard, Coroner

GHM 026-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957



Chattahoochee County Courthouse
Chattahoochee County
Photo by Ken Moser



 

026-4B