Historic Markers Across Georgia



Riverside



Marker ID: GHM 026-5
Location: 100 Vibbert Avenue, Fort Benning
County: Chattahoochee
Coordinates: N 32° 22.077    W 084° 57.534
  32.36795    -84.9589
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNR3P
Riverside Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

´Riverside´ was built in 1909 by Arthur Bussey, a prominent Columbus, Georgia businessman, and served as a summer home for the Bussey family. The spacious dwelling was surrounded by one of the last self-supporting plantations in this area. when in 1918 Camp Benning was founded and the Infantry School moved from Fort Sill, Oklahoma, to Columbus, Georgia, ´Riverside´ became a military quarters. Since that time, this stately commanding residence served as official living quarters for a succession of commanding generals at the Home of the Infantry, and in 1972 was designated a National Historic Home and accepted by the Nation Register of Historic Places.

General of the Army Omar N. Bradley resided here during the period February 1941 to January 1942, while serving as Commandant of the Infantry School in the grade of Brigadier General.

General of the Army George C. Marshall, while serving in the grade of Lieutenant Colonel as Assistant Commandant of the Infantry School from November 1927 to June 1932, resided in quarters which were located to the left rear of ´Riverside.´ the structure was subsequently demolished and the present Assistant Commandant´s quarters, 118 Eames Avenue, was constructed in 1934.

General of the Army Dwight D. Eisenhower occupied quarters to the right front of ´Riverside´ at 205 Austin Loop from August 1926 to January 1927. General Eisenhower at that time held the rank of Major and was Commander of the 2nd Battalion, 24th Infantry.

GHM 026-3 Georgia Historic Marker 1974




Riverside
Photo by David Seibert



 

026-5