Historic Markers Across Georgia



Chattahoochee County Jail (Side 2)



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Mt. Olive and Boyd Sts., Cusseta
County: Chattahoochee
Coordinates: N 32° 18.396    W 084° 46.549
  32.3066    -84.77581666
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This jail is situated on property that was purchased soon after the county was created on February 13, 1854. Mr. Asbury Bryan was paid $1,250 for the original two-story jail that was completed by July 20, 1855, under the supervision of Sheriff Silas Brown. The dimensions of the log structure were eighteen by twenty-two feet with fifteen inches separating the double walls. The jail was used continuously until the new facility was completed in 1902. At that time LaFayette Harp served as sheriff.

ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION AND THE
CHATTAHOOCHEE COUNTY HISTORIC PRESERVATION SOCIETY 2002



 

 

026-H2