Historic Markers Across Georgia



Fort Benning Military Reservation (Side 2)



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Opposite Greene Hall, Richardson Circle, Fort Benning
County: Chattahoochee
Coordinates: N 32° 21.882    W 084° 57.366
  32.3647    -84.9561
Waymark: WMNJHX
Fort Benning Military Reservation (Side 2) Marker
Photo by Markerman



Text:

Established following World War One, this post occupies former Indian lands sold during the Georgia Land Lottery of 1827. John Woolfolk consolidated small land holdings in 1843. Benjamin Hatcher acquired the property in 1883. Arthur Bussey purchased the plantation in 1907, selling it to the Federal Government in 1919. Benning now occupies some 180,000 acres in Georgia and Alabama, most of which are in Chattahoochee County.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1980.



 

 

026-H6