Historic Markers Across Georgia



Fort Benning-Station Hospital (Side 1)



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: In front of National Infantry Museum, Baltzell Ave, Ft Benning
County: Chattahoochee
Coordinates: N 32° 21.914    W 084° 57.023
  32.365233    -84.95038
Waymark: None
 



Text:

In 1923, the U.S. Congress appropriated funds for the erection of a hospital at Fort Benning. The hospital complex, consisting of ten buildings, was opened in 1925. During World War Two as many as 36, 000 wounded per year received care at this facility. In 1951, during the Korean War, 25, 000 casualties were treated. Following the 1958 opening of a new hospital this complex served as and outpatient clinic until 1975 when the main building was designated the permanent home of the National Infantry Museum.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1980



 
Notes:

Side 2 is the National Infantry Museum marker.

 

026-H7