Historic Markers Across Georgia



First Cotton Mill in Northwest Georgia



Marker ID: GHM 027-3
Location: at Mt Vernon Mill on Fourth St., Trion
County: Chattooga
Coordinates: N 34° 32.815    W 085° 18.566
  34.546916    -85.30943
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1P0P
First Cotton Mill in Northwest Georgia  Marker  



Text:

Three Walker County businessmen, Andrew P. Allgood, Spencer S. Marsh and Col. W.K. Briers, officially organized the Trion factory Oct. 12, 1845. It has had few shut-downs since its first production in 1847. In 1858 an epidemic, in 1864 Sherman´s invading Federal Army closed the mill until the end of the War Between the States, fire on April 10, 1876 only shut the mill for six months and a strike for six weeks in 1934. Three families owned and operated the mill through its first 150 years. The Allgood Family (1845-1912), the B.D. Riegel Family (1912-1987) and the R.B. Pamplin Family purchased the mill in 1987.

GHM 027-3 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1995



 

First Cotton Mill in Northwest Georgia


 

027-3