Historic Markers Across Georgia



Neal's Gap, Broomtown Road



Marker ID: CHT 34
Location: On GA 337 at Neal Gap Rd (Co. Rd. 252)
County: Chattooga
Coordinates: N 34° 33.116    W 085° 24.001
  34.55193333    -85.40001666
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

In late August 1863, the Federal Army of the Cumberland began moving toward Georgia. On the extreme right of the Federal lines, the XX Army Corps, approximately 15,000 soldiers commanded by Major General Alexander M. McCook, began advancing across Lookout Mountain with Alpine, Summerville, and Rome, Georgia as the objective line of march.

Neal's Gap, a natural mountain pass one mile west of this site, had a good road leading down the east escarpment of Lookout Mountain into Broomtown Valley. The Neal's Gap Road connected with the Broomtown Road, a major North-South thoroughfare from Gadsden, Alabama to Chattanooga, Tennessee at this site.

Confederate Cavalry commanded by Major General Joseph Wheeler blockaded with felled timber the Neal's Gap road to impede the advancing Federal Army.

On September 1, 1863, the Federal cavalry vanguard advancing through Neal's Gap was attacked by Confederate cavalry forces. Confederate records of General Wheeler show Confederate casualty loss 9, Federal loss 40.

September 9, 1863--Third Infantry Brigade, First Division, XX Army Corps commanded by Colonel Hans C. Heg arrives at Neal's Gap and goes into camp on top of the mountain. Heg's Brigade consists of 1,700 soldiers comprising the 25th Illinois, 35th Illinois, 8th Kansas, 15th Wisconsin infantry regiments and the Wisconsin Light Artillery.

September 10, 1863-Heg's Brigade is ordered to depart Neal's Gap and march south to Alpine, staying on top of the mountain.

September 11, 1863 --General McCook orders Neal Gap Road cleared and reopened.

September 15, 1863--Federal Brigadier General George Crook reports from Dougherty's Gap that he "found a party of about 75 scouting on the mountain; chased them down Neal's Gap, capturing some of their hats and guns with 1 horse, but did not get any of the men."

September 17, 1863-Skirmish at Neal's Gap, the last fight in Chattooga County before the Battle of Chickamauga.

September 19-20, l863--The Battle of Chickamauga.

Nearby structures from the Civil War period are the Samuel McWhorter plantation house and smokehouse, and the Teloga Springs store and post office (opened 1839-closed 1890.)



 
Notes:

This marker is part of the Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail, Army of the Cumberland site # 34, Neal's Gap, Broomtown Road

For more information on the Battle of Chickamauga:
Civil War Historic Markers Across Georgia - Battle of Chickamauga
Wikipedia - Battle of Chickamauga

 

027-HT-U34