Historic Markers Across Georgia



Cherokee County



Marker ID: GHM 028-2
Location: Square in front of courthouse in Canton, GA
County: Cherokee
Coordinates: N 34° 14.223    W 084° 29.451
  34.23705    -84.49085
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM68M
Cherokee County  Marker  



Text:

Created December 3, 1832, from Cherokee Indian Lands, and named in memory of the Cherokees. Early settlers tried to start silk production, but were not successful, and today there remains no trace of this except Canton, hopefully named for the Chinese silk center.

The Marietta and North Georgia Rilroad reached Canton in 1879, providing a considerable stimulus to development.

The locally financed and managed textile mill, which began operations in 1900, hasprovided a payroll of much local importance.

GHM 028-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1953



 

 

028-2