Historic Markers Across Georgia



Cherokee County Gold



Marker ID: GHM 028-4
Location: Courthouse in Canton, GA
County: Cherokee
Coordinates: N 34° 14.245    W 084° 29.454
  34.237416    -84.4909
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM68P
Cherokee County Gold  Marker  



Text:

Cherokee County, located along Georgia´s golt belt, figured prominently in the gold rush of the 1830´s and 40´s. Several mines operated along a five mile area near the Etowah River in the northeastern part of the county, including the Franklin-Creighton, Sandow, and Latham Mines. More than 30 other small placer mines extended sowthwesterly across the county and included the Sices Mine, worked earlier by the Cherokees. After the 1860´s, most gold mining operations in the county either slowed or ceased. The most successful, and most sophisticated, the Franklin-Creighton, continued operations until 1913, when a shaft collapsed and the mine was flooded.

GHM 028-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL MARKER 1988



 

 

028-4