Historic Markers Across Georgia



State Normal School



Marker ID: GHM 029-3
Location:
County: Clarke
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marker has been removed.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Here at the old State Normal School, now part of the University of Georgia stands Gilmer Hall, once known as Rock College. Built in 1860 by the University to house classrooms for freshmen and sophomores, it was never so used but was opened in 1862 as University High School. From 1866 to '68 disabled Confederate veterans were educated here except for a short period when the school was closed by order of Gen. Pope, military governor of Governor. It was taken over in 1872 by the State College of Agriculture & Mechanical Arts. When the Normal School was established by Act of 1891 the building and land were given by the University and it was shortly named Gilmer Hall for the Gilmer Fund. On January 1, 1895, Captain S.D. Bradwell became the first President of the Normal School which opened on April 17. First graduation exercises were held on November, 1896. In its early years vitally needed financial assistance was received by the Normal School from both Clarke County and the City of Athens, helping to make possible short summer session in 1892, 93 & 94, before the regular opening in 1895. At the 1892 sessions there were 112 students enrolled representing thirty-two counties. In 1897 enrollment had increased to the point where students were living in tents erected on campus, until new dormitories could be built.

029-03 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955



 
Notes:

Georgia Historical Commission marker 029-3 was replaced in
the 1990s with a new Normal School marker erected by the
U.S. Navy School. The original 029-3 marker was reinstalled in front of Winnie Davis Hall at the Navy School, then stored
in the basement of the Navy Supply Corps Museum,
and finally returned to Georgia Department of Natural Resources