Historic Markers Across Georgia



Clarke County



Marker ID: GHM 029-4
Location: Courthouse on Washington St. in Athens, GA
County: Clarke
Coordinates: N 33° 57.587    W 083° 22.445
  33.95978333    -83.37408333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2DT
Clarke County Marker  



Text:

Clarke County, created by Act of Dec. 5, 1801 from Jackson County, originally containedOconee and part of Madison and Greene Counties. It was named for Gen. Elijah Clarke who came to Wilkes County, Ga., from N.C. in 1774 and fought through Ga., and S.C. during the Revolutionary War. He engaged in several battles with the Indians and signed treaties with the Cherokees in 1783 and Creeks in 1783 and 1785. He died Dec. 15, 1799. First officers of Clarke County, commissioned Dec. 31, 1801, were: Abner Bankston, Sheriff; Bedford Brown, Clk, Sup. Ct.; Gabriel Hubert, Clk. Inf. Ct.; Stephen Nobles, Surveyor; Daniel Conner, Coroner.

GHM029-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

029-4