Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Athens Double-Barrelled Cannon



Marker ID: GHM 029-5
Location: City Hall, corner of College and Hancock Aves., Athens, GA
County: Clarke
Coordinates: N 33° 57.597    W 083° 22.579
  33.95995    -83.37631
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2F4
The Athens Double-Barrelled Cannon Marker  



Text:

This cannon, the only known one of its kind, was designed by Mr. John Gilleland, a private in the "Mitchell Thunderbolts," an elite "home guard" unit of business and professional men ineligible because of age or disability for service in the Confederate army. Cast in the Athens foundry, it was intended to fire simultaneously two balls connected by a chain which would "mow down the enemy somewhat as a scythe cuts wheat." It failed for lack of a means of firing both barrels at the exact instant.

It was tested in a field on the Newton´s Bridge road against a target of upright poles. With both balls rammed home and the chain dangling from the twin muzzles, the piece was fired; but the lack of precise simultaneity caused uneven explosion of the propelling charges, which snapped the chain and gave each ball an erratic and unpredictable trajectory.

Lacking a workable firing device, the gun was a failure. It was presented to the City of Athens where, for almost a century, it has been preserved as an object of curiosity, and where it performed sturdy service for many years in celebrating political victories.

GHM 029-5 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957



  Historic Markers Across Georgia
 
The Athens Double-Barrelled Cannon
 
The Athens Double-Barrelled Cannon
The Athens Double-Barrelled Cannon

 





 

029-5