Historic Markers Across Georgia



America's First Garden Club



Marker ID: GHM 029-9
Location: Front lawn of Young Harris Methodist Church, 973 Prince Ave., Athens, GA
County: Clarke
Coordinates: N 33° 57.707    W 083° 23.588
  33.961783    -83.39313
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2V1
America's First Garden Club Marker  



Text:

I891 at this site, the Ladies Garden Club was founded by twelve Athens ladies in the home of Mrs. E.K. Lumpkin. Mrs. Lamar Cobb was the first president. Beginning as a small neighborhood group, the club extended membership to all Athens ladies interested in gardening in 1892.

In the spring of 1892 the group presented its first flower and vegetable exhibition. By 1894 a set of standards, similar to those of today, had been drawn up to make the shows as professional as possible.

In 1936 the National Council of State Garden Clubs recognized the Ladies Garden Club as America´s first garden club.

GHM 029 - 9 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1968



 

 

029-9