Historic Markers Across Georgia



U. S. Navy Supply Corps School



Marker ID:  
Location: (Side 2), U.S. Navy Supply Corps School, Prince Ave. at Navy Supply Corps School, Athens
County: Clarke
Coordinates: N 33° 57.864    W 083° 24.162
  33.9644    -83.4027
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2GB
U. S. Navy Supply Corps School Marker
Photo by ChapterhouseInc



Text:

Commissioned on this site 15 January 1954, the U.S. Navy Supply Corps School is the "Home" of the Navy Supply Corps. At this school newly commissioned Navy Supply Corps officers receive basic training in leadership, retail operations, disbursing, food service, data processing, and inventory management to prepare them for their roles as "The Navy´s Business Managers" afloat and ashore. The school also provides specialized advanced logistics training not only to U.S. Naval personnel, but also to military officers from many foreign nations. Although the history of the Supply Corps dates back to 1795 it was not until 1921 that the first Supply Corps School opened in Washington, D.C. In 1924 the school was discontinued and reopened in 1934 as the Naval Finance and Supply School in Philadelphia, PA. In 1941 the school was merged into the Harvard University Graduate School of Business Administration. In 1945 the school was moved to Bayonne, NJ, where it operated until 1954 when it was relocated to this site. Also located on this site is the Supply Corps Museum which depicts the history, heritage and traditions of the Supply Corps.



 
Notes:

This marker is part of a two-sided marker erected by the U.S. Navy Supply Corps School in the 1990s. The eastern side of the marker is shown above. The western side of the marker notes the original location of the Georgia State Normal School on this site.

 

029-A11