Historic Markers Across Georgia



Ben W Burton Park



Marker ID: City of Athens 
Location: Athens Ben Burton City Park on Mitchell Bridge Rd at Ben Burton Park.
County: Clarke
Coordinates: N 33° 57.470    W 083° 26.256
  33.95783333    -83.4376
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM5DW4
Ben W Burton Park Marker  



Text:

Dedicated in October, 1971, in the term of Mayor Julius F. Bishop. This 32-acre recreation area alongside the Oconee River occupies the site of a dismantled hydroelectric generating station built in 1896 and used for 68 years. In response to Mayor Bishop´s interest in acquiring the site for the benefit of Athens Citizens, Georgia Power Company donated it to the City of Athens in 1967. The park is named in honor of Ben W Burton Georgia Power Vice President who shared Mayor Bishop´s desire to see this recreation area created for the pleasure of the people.
Luther T Bond
Joseph R Hooten, Jr
W. Calvin Bridges
Robert H Kimbrell
Dwain P Chambers
Paul J Oeland
Lee H Guest
Edward L Turner
Hugh R Hale
J Comer Whitehead

Aldermen



 

 

029-A13