Historic Markers Across Georgia



Chapel Bell



Marker ID:  
Location: Located near the bell tower on Herty Dr, on the north campus quad of the University of Georgia in Athens.
County: Clarke
Coordinates: N 33° 57.401    W 083° 22.531
  33.95668333    -83.37551666
Style: Carved Stone **
Waymark: WM8XCC
Chapel Bell Marker  



Text:

Originally used to call students to classes, Chapel Services, and special events, the University of Georgia Chapel Bell was cast by George Holbrook of Medway, Massachusetts in 1835. The bell's arrival on campus is shrouded in mystery, but it is believed to have replaced an earlier bell between 1903 and 1911. Now primarily used to toll Georgia football victories, the Chapel Bell has weathered stolen clappers, rivalries, and a brief career as a World War II air raid "Siren". The bell has been housed in its present location since circa 1913. The tower and bell restoration were completed in August 2008.



 
Chapel Bell - UGA
Chapel Bell


 

029-A15