Historic Markers Across Georgia



Chestnut Grove School



Marker ID:  
Location: 610 Epps Bridge Parkway, Athens, GA
County: Clarke
Coordinates: N 33° 55.983    W 083° 26.283
  33.93305    -83.43805
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Chestnut Grove School Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

The Chestnut Grove Schoolhouse was established in 1887 to meet the educational aspirations of Black children. It was built and equipped by local Black farmers. The land was donated by a Black farmer named Floyd Kenny, who could not read or write. On July 30, 1896 the school was purchased by the Clarke County Board of Education for $100.00 and continued to operate until 1950. In 1956, the Board of Education sold the building and land to Chestnut Grove Baptist Church for $500.00. The schoolhouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places (#84003873) in 1984. There was a dedication Ceremony held on May 5, 2001 at the Chestnut Grove School, 610 Epps Bridge Road in Athens, Georgia.

Erected 2012 by Chestnut Grove School House Committee.



Chestnut Grove School
Chestnut Grove School
Photo by David Seibert



 

029-A18