Historic Markers Across Georgia



Former Site of Georgia State Normal School (Side 1)



Marker ID:  
Location: U.S. Navy Supply Corps School, next to Prince Ave. sidewalk at Navy Supply Corps School, Athens This replaces Old State Normal School GHM029-3, which was returned to the Georgia Department of Natural Resources
County: Clarke
Coordinates: N 33° 57.862    W 083° 24.162
  33.964366    -83.4027
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2GB
Former Site of Georgia State Normal School (Side 1) Marker
Photo by ChapterhouseInc



Text:

In February 1860 the University of Georgia purchased 93 acres surrounding this site and later sold all but 30 acres to finance the construction of Rock College, a preparatory school for the University of Georgia. Between 1862 and 1891 the school served the educational needs of Georgia in a variety of roles. In 1891 the Georgia General Assembly established the State Normal School on this site to train Georgians to be rural teachers. The nearby commercial area soon adopted the name "Normal Town." The oldest remaining academic building on campus, Winnie Davis Hall, was erected in 1902 as a memorial to the daughter of Jefferson Davis. In 1910 the Carnegie Library was erected with a grant from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. Because of its historical and educational significance, it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1929 the institution´s name was changed to The Coordinate College. During WW II, the campus was used by the U.S. Army as a training site and after WW II the school was again occupied by women students attending the university. In 1953 the site was purchased by the U.S. Navy as a permanent location for its Supply Corps School.



 
Notes:

This marker is part of a two-sided marker erected by the U.S. Navy Supply Corps School in the 1990s. The western side of the marker is shown above and replaces State Historical Marker 029-3, which was erected by the Georgia Historical Commission in 1955 and returned to Georgia Department of Natural Resources around 1999. The eastern side of the marker notes the founding of the Navy Supply Corps School.

 

029-A2