Historic Markers Across Georgia



Historic Athletic Grounds



Marker ID: UGA 
Location: University of Georgia, just east of corner of E. Baxter and S. Lumpkin, Athens
County: Clarke
Coordinates: N 33° 57.074    W 083° 22.605
  33.951233    -83.37675
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2DH
Historic Athletic Grounds  Marker
Photo by ChapterhouseInc



Text:

This valley formed by Tanyard Creek is site of many great moments in University of Georgia athletic history. In 1911, a football/baseball facility with wooden grandstands, Sanford Field, was built here. The Bulldog football team played in it until Sanford Stadium opened in 1929. The baseball team played here until 1943. That year, the U.S. Navy constructed a pre-flight instruction facility on this site. The building was named Stegeman Hall to honor Herman James Stegeman, who coached football, basketball, baseball, and track, and was athletic director (1923-27) and dean of men (1931-39). His 1919 baseball and 1920 football teams won their respective Southern Conference championships. Stegeman Hall houses the swimming team, which won men´s Southeastern Conference titles in 1951, ´52 and ´55. Known as one of the "fastest pools in the South," the facility hosted the 1956 U.S. Olympic Trials and was home pool to 70 UGA All-American swimmers. Its functions having been transferred to the new Ramsey Student Center on UGA´s East Campus, Stegeman Hall was removed in 1996 in preparation for the University´s hosting of soccer, volleyball and rhythmic gymnastics in the Olympic Games.



 

 

029-A3