Historic Markers Across Georgia



Hodgson-Dodd Park, Hugh Hodgson:1893-1969 (Side 2),



Marker ID: ACC 
Location: Springdale and Cloverhurst Streets, Athens, GA
County: Clarke
Coordinates: N 33° 56.633    W 083° 23.703
  33.943883    -83.39505
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2DF
Hodgson-Dodd Park, Hugh Hodgson:1893-1969 (Side 2),  Marker
Photo by ChapterhouseInc



Text:

In their Springdale houses they shared the joys of music and the visual arts with friends, family, students and faculty.

HUGH HODGSON
1893 - 1969

590 SPRINGDALE was architect Ed Wade and built in 1941 by Sam Wright for musician HUGH HODGSON and his wife JESSIE. Here colleagues and visiting celebrities rehearsed the weekly lecture-concert Music Appreciation evenings beloved by town and gown alike. From 1928 to 1960, HODGSON -- pianist, conductor, composer, educator and tennis ace -- chaired the University of Georgia´s division of fine arts. He created glee clubs, a symphony orchestra, and a statewide music symposium. Hudgson performed more than 1200 personal concerts in America and Europe. With neighbor Lamar Dodd, he sought to elevate all Georgians´ esthetic taste and enjoyment of music and art. Journalist Ralph McGill called Hodgson "the Johnny Appleseed of music."

SEE OTHER SIDE 2000



 

 

029-A5