Historic Markers Across Georgia



University of Georgia Botanical Garden 1833-1856



Marker ID: GHS  29.7
Location: 375 Reese St. Reese St, corner of Reese and Pope Streets, 375 Reese St., Athens, GA
County: Clarke
Coordinates: N 33° 57.398    W 083° 23.062
  33.95663333    -83.38436666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
University of Georgia Botanical Garden 1833-1856 Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

In 1833 Dr. Malthus Ward, Professor of Natural History, opened the University Botanical Garden at this location. Covering the block bounded by Broad, Pope, Reese, and Finley, the four-acre garden was intended as a laboratory for learning and experimentation as well as a location of natural beauty. The promotion of the sciences, both in the classroom and through projects like the botanical garden, reflected a growing trend in higher education away from a strictly classics-based curriculum. Although the garden gained a national reputation and became one of Athens' greatest attractions, loss of funding forced its closure in 1856. Funds from the sale of the garden property were used to erect the iron fence surrounding the campus and the Arch, a free-standing gate that has become the symbol of the University of Georgia.

Erected by the Georgia Historical Society and the Athens Historical Society.




University of Georgia Botanical Garden 1833-1856
Photo by David Seibert


Notes:

Approved by GHS, to be installed.

 

029-HS07