Historic Markers Across Georgia



United States Navy Pre-Flight School



Marker ID: GHS 29.1
Location: U.S. Navy Supply Corps School, Prince Ave. at Navy Supply Corps School, Athens
County: Clarke
Coordinates: N 33° 57.222    W 083° 22.362
  33.9537    -83.3727
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2DK
United States Navy Pre-Flight School Marker  



Text:

Between 1942 and 1945, the Navy operated a Pre-Flight School on The University of Georgia campus. As one of only five such schools in the nation, the program trained approximately 20,000 cadets in the skills needed as combat pilots in the Pacific theater of World War II. The Navy utilized most of the existing campus and built numerous buildings and athletic facilities used by the college in later years. Additional Athens-area sites were also utilized and improvements were made to local streets and Ben Epps Airport. Few physical remainders of this large Naval presence remain.

2001.7 Erected by The Georgia Historical Society, 29-1
The University of Georgia and the United States
Navy Supply Corps School



 

 

029-HS1