Historic Markers Across Georgia



Jeruel Academy/Union Baptist Institute,



Marker ID: GHS 29.2
Location: on Baxter St. near entrance of Brumby Residence Hall, University of Georgia, Athens
County: Clarke
Coordinates: N 33° 57.015    W 083° 22.960
  33.95025    -83.38266
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2DG
Jeruel Academy/Union Baptist Institute,  Marker
Photo by ChapterhouseInc



Text:

This academy was founded in 1881 at Landrum Chapel (Ebenezer Baptist Church, West) by the Rev. Collins Henry Lyons. In 1886 a new facility was constructed at this site, now on the University of Georgia campus. Here black youth were taught college preparatory courses in English, Greek, Latin, French, history, mathematics, public speaking, agriculture, sewing, cooking, music and printing. In 1924 the school consolidated with three other institutions to become Union Baptist Institute. The institute was dissolved and the building demolished in 1956 following desegregation and consolidation of the local public schools.

Erected by The Georgia Historical Society, The University of Georgia and

Union Baptist Institute/Jeruel Preservation Foundation

2001.8 29-2




Jeruel Academy/Union Baptist Institute,
Photo by David Seibert



 

029-HS2