Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old College



Marker ID: GHS 29.4
Location: Near fountain next to Old College building on UGA campus
County: Clarke
Coordinates: N 33° 57.350    W 083° 22.454
  33.95583333    -83.37423333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6N63
Old College Marker  



Text:

Built in 1806 by Jett Thomas to the specifications of college president Josiah Meigs, Old College was the first permanent building on the University of Georgia campus. Originally named Franklin College in honor of Benjamin Franklin, the building served as housing, dining, and classroom facilities for the fledgling University. As the campus grew the building came to be known as Old College. Condemned as structurally unsound by 1906, the building was largely rebuilt and rededicated in 1908 at the behest of preservation-minded alumni. During World War II, Old College was utilized as barracks by the U.S. Navy. In recognition of the building´s significance, a full rehabilitation was completed in 2006 in observation of its bicentennial.

2006.13 Erected by the Georgia Historical Society and the University of Georgia 29.4



 

 

029-HS4