Historic Markers Across Georgia



Athens High and Industrial School



Marker ID: GHS  29.6
Location: On Reese St at N. Pope St., Athens, GA
County: Clarke
Coordinates: N 33° 57.417    W 083° 23.082
  33.95695    -83.3847
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM9J3G
Athens High and Industrial School Marker
Photo by ChapterhouseInc



Text:

Established in 1916-1917 and accredited in 1922, Athens High and Industrial School (AHIS) was Georgia's first four-year public high school for African-American students. Originally known as Reese Street School, founded in 1914, AHIS offered a full curriculum of classes including Latin, Greek, literature, history, chemistry, and physics. Industrial classes were offered in the evenings for adults. Leading black educator Samuel F. Harris served as principal of AHIS until his death in 1935. In 1933, AHIS moved to this location, previously the site of the Knox Institute which was founded by the Freedmen's Bureau in 1868.

Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, the AHIS/BHHS Alumni Association, Athens-Clarke Heritage Foundation and the Athens Historical Society, Inc. 29.6




Athens High and Industrial School
Photo by ChapterhouseInc



 

029-HS6