Historic Markers Across Georgia



Clay County



Marker ID: GHM  030-1
Location: Clay County Courthouse in Fort Gaines
County: Clay
Coordinates: N 31° 36.259    W 085° 2.922
  31.604316    -85.0487
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMA433
Clay County Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This County created by Act of the Legislature Feb. 16, 1854, is named for Henry Clay, famous statesman who died in 1852. Near fort Gaines, the County Site, stood the actual Fort built

in 1816 for defense in the Creek Indian Wars and named for Gen. Edmond P. Gaines who ordered its construction. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff George R. Holloway, Clerk of the Superior & Inferior Courts Warren Sutton, Ordinary John H. Jones, Tax Receiver John H. Gilbert, Tax Collector

Peter Lee, County Surveyor Bennett H. Thornton and Coroner Churchill Patrick.

GHM 030-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

 

030-1