Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Cotton Hill Seminary



Marker ID: GHM 030-2
Location: At the church in Cotton Hill, County Road 2411
County: Clay
Coordinates: N 31° 43.821    W 084° 59.007
  31.73035    -84.98345
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNRT2
Old Cotton Hill Seminary Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Here stood the Cotton hill Male and Female Seminary incorporated by an Act of the Legislature March 6, 1856, but in existence before that time. Professor Norman Flavius Cooledge, uncle of President Calvin Cooledge, who had come to Georgia for the climate became President of the Seminary in 1854 and remained there until 1862 when 103 of the men students joined the Army of the Confederacy. The discouraged Cooledge dropped teaching to go into business and the glory of the School, once one the South´s leading educational institutions, vanished.

30-2     Georgia Historical Commission    1955




Old Cotton Hill Seminary
Photo by David Seibert



 

030-2