Historic Markers Across Georgia



Historic Sites



Marker ID: GHM  030-3
Location: Washington Street, Fort Gaines
County: Clay
Coordinates: N 31° 36.363    W 085° 2.924
  31.60605    -85.04873
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMANRQ
Historic Sites Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

DILL HOUSE - John Dill (1788-1856) of S.C., military aide to Gen. Gaines, commander of Fort Gaines, and leading pioneer citizen, is said to have built this house, "the finest home on the frontier", with money his wife had saved while a captive of the Indians. Hoarding and hiding paper money, which her captors discarded after raids, she took it with her when she fled to freedom. The original part of the house, now a hotel, contains elaborate mantles and intricate carvings. Gen. Dill established a mercantile business with his partner, John W. Sutlive, in 1821. He added a tannery, one of the finest harness and shoe businesses in the South, a brick kiln, and cotton warehouses to his interests. He and his wife are buried in a cemetery on Carroll Street.

LIVE OAK TREE. This magnificent tree, with a circumference of 16 feet was brought from Florida and planted by General Gaines.

THE GLOBE. "Globe Tavern", first operated by Charles Suddoph, was at the NW corner of Washington and Carroll Streets. The brass globe at its entrance signified the tavern, "the most popular in SW Georgia", was open and ready to refresh the traveler. When the tavern burned the globe was moved across the street.

GHM 030-3 Georgia Historical Commission 1957




Historic Sites
Photo by Ken Moser



 

030-3