Historic Markers Across Georgia



Queen City of the Chattahoochee



Marker ID: GHM  030-4
Location: Junction of Ga 37 and Ga 39 on Washington St, Fort Gaines
County: Clay
Coordinates: N 31° 36.208    W 085° 2.933
  31.603466    -85.04888
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8W34
Queen City of the Chattahoochee Marker
Photo by Coinseekers



Text:

Known by the Indians as A-Con-Hollo-Way Tal-lo fa (Highland Town), Fort Gaines, established as a frontier fort in 1816 by Gen. Edmund P. Gaines, was chartered as a town in 1830 and named for Gen Gaines. A shipping point for cotton planters for many miles on both sides of the river, it was the most important point between Apalachicola and Columbus until the railroads in 1858. Huge warehouse along the river held thousands of bales of cotton for shipping in large steamboats. Traces of a slide down the bluff to the warehouse still exist. The Hartford Road was a main traffic artery. First merchants were Hartwell Tarver, John Brochman and John Dill.

GHM 030-4 Georgia HIstorical Commission




Queen City of the Chattahoochee
Photo by David Seibert



 

030-4