Historic Markers Across Georgia



Fort Gaines



Marker ID: GHM  030-6
Location: Site of old fort, Bluff Street, Fort Gaines
County: Clay
Coordinates: N 31° 36.252    W 085° 2.919
  31.6042    -85.04865
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMANRW
Fort Gaines Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

One of several forts on Georgia's western frontier for the protection of white settlers, Fort Gaines was established in 1816 by order of Gen. Edmund P. Gaines, commander of a large district, who used this as his headquarters. Containing two blockhouses, the 100-foot square fort was enclosed by a stockade eight feet high. During 1817 when Indians were near in the area, settlers look refuge in the fort, garrisoned by Federal troops under Gen. John Dill. Maintained for a number of years, the fort stood on the brow of the buff just below the confluence of Town Branch with Chemochechobee Creek.
030-6 Georgia Historical Commission 1957



 

 

030-6