Historic Markers Across Georgia



Fort Gaines Guards



Marker ID: GHM  030-7
Location: Washington Street, Fort Gaines
County: Clay
Coordinates: N 31° 36.311    W 085° 2.94
  31.605183    -85.049
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMA75P
Fort Gaines Guards Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Organized in 1836 under the command of Col. J. E. Brown, for 74 years the Fort Gaines Guards was one of the best and, later, the oldest military organization in western Georgia. Kept intact between wars, the Guards fought in the Indian and Mexican War, in 1861. 120 men under Capt. B. A. Turnipseed, Co. D. 9th Ga. Regiment, Tige Anderson´s Brigade, Longstreet´s Corps, fought gallantly through the War Between the States. Of the original 120 only 13 remained to surrender at Appomattox. Reorganized in 1868, a detachment of the Guards under L. E. A. Greece volunteered service in 1898 in the Spanish American War. The Guards were disbanded about 1910.

GHM 030-7 Georgia Historical Commission 1957



 

 

030-7