Historic Markers Across Georgia



Site of Fort Gaines Female College



Marker ID: GHM  030-8
Location: Jefferson Street, Fort Gaines
County: Clay
Coordinates: N 31° 36.444    W 085° 3.231
  31.6074    -85.05385
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMBVRN
Site of Fort Gaines Female College Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

In 1857, the Legislature authorized a lottery to complete this college, chartered in 1838 as Fort Gaines Female Institute. It was finished in 1859. Sereno Taylor was the first principal, followed by John W. Grant. The large college building was used for a "tax - in - kind" depot for storage of one-tenth of all food and wool raised - for the support of the Confederate soldiers distributed contents of this and two other local warehouse to families in this area before Federal troops arrived. Used for a lime as barracks for Federal soldiers, it became again an important educational center. The school closed after an epidemic of typhoid fever.

GHM 030-8 Georgia Historical Commission 1957




Site of Fort Gaines Female College
Photo by Ken Moser



 

030-8