Historic Markers Across Georgia



1814 Boundary (Side 1)



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Ga 39 N of Fort Gaines at East Bank Area, Lake W. F. George
County: Clay
Coordinates: N 31° 38.034    W 085° 2.643
  31.6339    -85.04405
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8W20
1814 Boundary (Side 1) Marker
Photo by Coinseekers



Text:

The boundary line defined in the Treaty of Fort Jackson (August 1814) between the confederated Creek tribes and the United States extended eastward from the mouth of Cemochechobee Creek south of here to a point near Jesup, Georgia. Signed by General Andrew Jackson for the U.S. and Tustennugge Hopoie (Little Prince) for the Creeks, the treaty ceded about 23 million acres of land and was intended to separate hostile Indians from British forces in Florida during the War of 1812.

ERECTED BY THE

HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION AND THE

FORT GAINES HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 1939



 
Notes:

Chattahoochee Theater (Side 2)

 

030-A1