Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Old Lattice Bridge (two sided)



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Site of old fort, Bluff Street, Fort Gaines
County: Clay
Coordinates: N 31° 36.373    W 085° 3.285
  31.606216    -85.05475
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMBVRG
The Old Lattice Bridge (two sided) Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

(front)
The second covered bridge across the Chattahoochee River, connecting Clay County, Georgia and Henry County. Alabama was constructed between 1867-69. Bonner and Walden, a New York construction company, were the original contractors but the bridge was completed by Horace King. After the three span bridge collapsed during the flood of March 1875, the original stockholders relinquished control of the structure to the City of Fort Gaines on the condition that the city should rebuild at public expense. A$7,500 bond issue was floated and the bridge was rebuilt by Captain B. B. McKenzie of Eufaula, Alabama.

(back)
Following the reopening of the covered bridge in 1875, the City of Fort Gaines considered levying ad valorem taxes to help retire the bridge repair bond issue. Angry property owners proposed that the city sell the bridge to any person who would guarantee to retire the bonds. After considerable debate, the bridge was sold to David C. Adams, who realized a handsome profit on his investment. The flood of March 1888 partially destroyed the bridge again and it was resold to the city for $5,000. The bridge was then rebuilt by William King, son of Horace King. The covered bridge was in use until 1925 when the Henry - Clay cantilever bridge was opened.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission
and the Clay County Commission 1987




The Old Lattice Bridge (two sided)
Photo by Ken Moser



 

030-A10