Historic Markers Across Georgia



Toney-Standley House (Side 1)



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: County Road 135 west of Ga 39, 9 miles north of For Gaines
County: Clay
Coordinates: N 31° 42.929    W 085° 5.354
  31.715483    -85.08923
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

(front)
In 1959 the Toney-Standley House was moved from its original site, near Sandy Creek, to its present location. This Plantation Plain styles structure is similar to other early homes built in the Chattahoochee River Valley of Alabama and Georgia. On September 17, 1974 it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of The Interior.

(rear)
Local Tradition maintains that the Toney-Standley House was built about 1803 by Mr. William Toney. It is reputed that on two occasions Toney had as his overnight guest Aaron Burr, third Vice- President of The United States. Legend has its that Burr stopped here while fleeing to Florida in 1804 and in 1807 after he was arrested for Treason by General Edmund Pendleton Gaines.

ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION 1980



 

 

030-A11