Historic Markers Across Georgia



Oakland High School



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: U.S. Highway 27, ½ mile South of Sutton’s Crossroads in Clay County, Georgia
County: Clay
Coordinates: N 31° 35.433    W 084° 50.806
  31.59055    -84.84676666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMBVW2
Oakland High School Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Founded in the 1880´s Oakland High School´s name was derived from oak trees which grewin abundance at this location when the school building was constructed. The school originally had 10 grades. Mrs. Arlene Newton Richardson taught here from 1908 to 1912 and established the first home economics course taught in southwest Georgia. Students participated in the course from as far away as Columbus and Macon, Georgia. Six students comprised the last graduating class in 1929. The next year Oakland became a junior high school. It closed its doors in 1937 when classes were consolidated with Fort Gaines High School. The old school building was demolished in 1957.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commissionand Students, Family and Friends of Oakland High School, 2004.




Oakland High School
Photo by Ken Moser



 

030-A12