Historic Markers Across Georgia



Clay County Courthouse



Marker ID: FGHS 
Location: Located at Clay County Courthouse in Fort Gaines
County: Clay
Coordinates: N 31° 36.252    W 085° 02.921
  31.6042    -85.04868333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMA757
Clay County Courthouse Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Clay County Courthouse is the oldest courthouse in the Pataula Judicial Circuit and one of the oldest in South Georgia. Construction began in 1871 and it was completed in 1873 as shown by grand jury presentments recorded in minute book B pages 195,294,335,380 and 381.

It has been in continuous use of this same site.
Erected by Fort Gaines Historical Society




Clay County Courthouse
Photo by Ken Moser



 

030-A13