Historic Markers Across Georgia



Chattahoochee Theater (Side 2)



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Ga 39 N of Fort Gaines at East Bank Area, Lake W. F. George
County: Clay
Coordinates: N 31° 38.031    W 085° 02.644
  31.63385    -85.04406666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8W9Z
Chattahoochee Theater (Side 2) Marker
Photo by Coinseekers



Text:

(Continued from other side)

William and Thomas Perryman became leaders of the war faction of the Lower Creeks and Seminoles. Their settlement, nown as Perryman, on the Chattahoochee above the Flint, became headquarters for the ´Hostiles´. Their relative, James Perryman, was chief of Oketeyeconne.

The Creek Indians´ request for aid suggested to the British high command a strategy of using privilegeless groups such as Indians, slaves, and pirates in the Gulf region to divert American forces from Canada. The Creeks indicated that contact could be maintained with the Four Nations -- Creeks, Choctaws, Chickasaws, Cherokees -- from Apalachicola Bay. Thus the Chattahoochee became central to British invasion plans. Upon arrival with munitions at Apalachicola in May 1814, the British found many starving Red Stick refugees who had come there following their defeat by Jackson at Horseshoe Bend in March.

People from Oketeyeconne were prominent among those being armed. Hawkins reported: ´They gave four kegs of cartridges of 100 lbs each to Oketeyeconne and Tuttallossee and some arms, short rifles and others.´ Receiving such reports, Jackson demanded a huge land cession, mostly from his Lower Creek allies, with the line strategically located just south of Oketeyeconne to suppress the insurgency.

ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION

AND THE FORT GAINES HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 1938

1989



 

 

030-A2